Friday, May 21, 2010

Hindsight

Unlike the sight of a Hindu god, I only have hindsight. Looking back I appreciate this experience, although it was not as moving or impactful as when I went to Thailand. India is a very different country. From the sideways head bobble for yes almost undesirable from no, to the slums, the Taj, beefless McDonalds, India’s crazy head on traffic, the best and worst smells in the world, it is definitely a country of high contrasts. Where the richest and the poorest live together as countrymen but are worlds apart.

I know we helped the people in Chevuru. We gave them shelter. Raised their status, and hopefully filled their hearts. I can’t help but think though, that what we did wasn’t permanent. Unlike the time I was in Thailand, where I felt that the volunteers there actually changed the minds and hearts of the children and even more so changed ours, the effect wasn’t so apparent in India.

I have gained a greater appreciation for where I live and my situations in life, but have also learned comparing situations is like spinning wheels. I was not born in India or as a wealthy prince from Dubai. Comparing myself to these things so distant really is pointless. I can never understand these situations fully, so should never feel privileged or disadvantaged in my own life. These are just the cards we are dealt, even before birth. We are sometimes given a king of diamonds, the queen of hearts, the ace of spades, or the joker. With some gambling in life this can possibly change, be a king or a fool.

I don’t know if I ever want to go back to India. This may be because I actually wasn’t sure if I ever really wanted to go. One day though, I do want to head to northern India. Nepal still lingers in my mind.

No comments: