Sunday, April 18, 2010

Geisha

This last weekend was pretty amazing. I stayed the night in Kyoto on Saturday night, but the best part was Sunday afternoon.

I went to a tea ceremony and dance preformed by geisha.


Serving tea


Ritual

I feel I was very lucky since I have never really had the opportunity to see geisha more than a split second in the street. It was amazing to actually see them in their environment. Doing what they spent years to preform. Unfortunately pictures of the actual performance were not permitted.

However, I did run into a friend that I made in Kumamoto. I was extremely surprised!! She moved to Osaka after graduating from Kumamoto Gakuen University. I've been meaning to visit her in Osaka, but I rarely head to Osaka as much as Kyoto. So to see her at the Geisha performance in Kyoto which had hundreds of audience members was amazing!

Besides this, one of her co-workers was the father of one of the geisha. So I got a private backstage pass to speak with a geisha. I even have the picture to prove it!


Risa, Geisha, Me

No comments: