Sunday, November 1, 2009

Japanese Halloween

So Halloween is technically not a Japanese holiday, but since there are about 30 foreigners in Shiga we decided to have a JET Halloween Party at a bar/club in Kyoto.

In an attempt to find a costume, I left for Kyoto earlier. While browsing though various costumes that were for people much shorter than me, I decided to purchase a large rainbow afro wig. Granted it wasn't a great costume and it made me $17 poorer, but at least it was SOMETHING! Especially in a country that doesn't traditionally celebrate Halloween, although it is becoming more and more popular amongst University students due to American influences on youth pop culture.

Now that I was dressed as a man wearing a large afro, I was hoping to grab some lunch with some other JETs before the party. Unfortunately I had a little mishap and got lost, so I couldn't meet up with them.

So I went to the club and ordered some food there and a beer. I am not a big club person, unless there is something worth listening to. Since it was just an ipod plugged into the speaker system, I didn't really want to dance. I need a band or DJ that can actually get the crowd moving. It basically reminded me of a High School/College Halloween dance. I don't really like dancing, but I do like music that makes you dance or at least go a little crazy once and a while.

Rainbow Psychedelic and Japanese Potter.

Anyway, since I was unimpressed by the environment and couldn't get into it I think I started to get a little bummed out. I don't know why exactly, maybe because I am just getting over a cold. I had a choice to stay in Kyoto and find some actual DJs and maybe hang out with some other JETs but I just wasn't in the mood.

I was hoping for an awesome Halloween, but unfortunately it was bust.

No comments: