Monday, March 29, 2010

Tokyo

I left Saturday morning only to miss my train by 2 minutes. Causing me to wait at my station for 45 minutes. This event did bring about the chance to meet a couple friendly Indonesian guys my age who live in my town and work for the car factory Daihatsu. It was nice to talk with some locals, although they were just as foreign as me.

As 10AM rolled around I was off to Tokyo, using the Seishun 18 Kippu. At about 7PM, nine hours of train travel, I walked through the gates at Tokyo Station.

People say when a trip starts out bad, you should postpone the journey for a luckier day. Maybe I should have taken this advice. After checking into my hostel and paying for it, I had about $60 in my pocket. This $60 is all the money I have left in Japan. But no worries, I had a plan! I had $300 left in my U.S. bank account. All I had to do was withdraw that! WRONG!

Went to the ATM. Declined. Another ATM. Declined. Now I was worried. Stuck in Tokyo, one of the most expensive cities in the world with $60 in my wallet. I was going to hook up with some people from the hostel to go have a fun Saturday night out in Tokyo, but alas it was a night of a $5 Yoshinoya Beef Bowl and a bottle of water.

The next day I headed off to Nikko. The transportation was "free" because I already paid for the Seishun 18 Kippu. After a 3 hour train journey I was greeted by snow! Nikko, unknown to me previously, is very cold! It apparently has weather similar to Hokkaido. But finally I could go see the 3 wise monkeys (hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil). A 1000 yen combination admission ticket got me into most of the temples, the lady even gave me a 300 yen discount!


Hear no evil, speak no evil, see no evil.


Nikko's sacred bridge

Unfortunately because I still had no luck with my U.S. ATM card I couldn't afford to try some of the famous yuba cuisine of Nikko.

After getting back late to Tokyo, I ate another beef bowl. Then I saw a Burger King, a rarity in Japan, so decided to indulge myself in a thick juicy Whopper. Then back to the Hostel for another night. I have an itchy throat, I hope I am not getting sick. I am drinking 1000mg of vitamin C every night at the local seven-eleven.

I meet Damien and Michelle on Tuesday.

No comments: