Tuesday, March 2, 2010

1 out of 120

Today was a pretty good day. It seems once out of every one hundred and twenty days at work is a pretty good day. Today was the last day that I will teach the san-nensei (9th graders) English since they will be graduating on the 13th of March.

I taught 5 classes, and it was my last class. So I designed a Jeopardy game using power point which went over pretty well. But this satisfaction from completing and being able to use a slight amount of creative thought in my classes wasn't even what made the day worth the months of monotonous "repeat after me" sessions. No, it was that many of my students came and talked to me today. Actually tried to have a conversation with me! I felt a part of my school and as if I was actually making a difference. I left work without feeling completely drained because I didn't have to commit brain cell genocide by staring at a computer screen surfing facebook or worrying about trying to look somewhat busy. Crazy how a busy/fun day can make you feel less drained then a normal day.

It makes me wonder if my co-workers and more specifically my boss (principle and vice principle) want me to be more involved at my school. Honestly I really have no idea how I can be, where I (and my co-workers) would feel like I am actually being useful instead of just getting in the way. I haven't been told things I can do, or invited along to things (extra-curricular activities) for the most part, so I don't know where to begin. I am not even aware of the full facilities my school offers. Which could be many since it is a brand new school building. But I am usually only told things on a need-to-know basis, and sometimes I am even lucky if I get that.

There will be a lot of changes in April. We are getting a different principle and many of the teachers will be transferring to other schools with new teachers coming in. This can be both positive or negative. But hopefully, it will be a chance to be involved. Maybe some teachers know how to use me better and maybe I will start having one in ten instead of one in one-twenty.


No comments: