Monday, October 19, 2009

The Tale of a Large Lake and a Tiny Bicycle.

This past weekend I rode 165km (110mi) on a bicycle around Japan's largest lake, Lake Biwa. It was an organized event with other JETs who live in Shiga, and overall a great experience. Along the way we saw many beautiful things and had a few interesting conversations.

We started out in Nagahama (a city north of me) around 9AM. Here I rented my bicycle, but not just any bicycle mind you. I rented a mamachari which are generally close distance bicycles with baskets mounted on the front for picking up groceries. If I was 5'4" it may have been a good size for me, but basically it was like riding a BMX bike for 110 miles. You can kind of see these 'speed demons' in the picture below.


Southeast Shiga represent the mamachari


We rode many miles and through a few tunnels and mountains. I was even lucky enough to see a huge monkey while riding through a mountain pass. AWESOME! Then we ran into some rain, which sucked since all I had was a 100 yen ($1) raincoat which was slightly small and just allowed my jeans to get soaked completely.


Heading to the mountains


Japan is not all neon.

Anyway, after enduring the elements and seeing a few more sights we arrived at our Bed and Breakfast called B.B. Dylan. Apparently the owner is a Bob Dylan fan, so the place had a weird atmosphere of Bob Dylan apparel, Disney toys and random Japanese stuff. Then it was off to an onsen (hot spring) to rest our tired bodies. Usually I don't like going to onsen with a lot of other people, there were about 8 in our group, but I knew it would help me through the next day of riding.


To infinity and beyond!

So after returning to B.B. Dylan and playing a card game resembling "Mafia" but with werewolves for 3 hours, I slept like the dead. Only to wake up 7 hours later at about 7AM. Thankfully my body was generous to me, and wasn't sore. We had breakfast, coffee and then hit the road. It was a great day with no rain and more beautiful scenery and even a few weird places like a Holland Theme Park.


Like inter dimensional travel to Holland. What?


Wind surfers loading up

Towards the end of the day, especially the last hour was very tiring. If I had to go any farther, I am almost positive I couldn't make it. My leg muscles were about ready to give up due to both biking nonstop for hours and also being cramped on my bicycle. But we were rewarded with an amazing view, as if it could only happen in a dream.


My favorite picture. A sacred rock, pierces the heavens.

Overall, it was a victory and a weekend well spent. Unfortunately I am extremely tired today and have to go to work, plus I feel like I might have a sore throat. Thankfully I only have to teach one class, which usually I find boring but today am very satisfied sitting in the office.

On another note, my Thailand plans are coming together. I purchased my tickets to Thailand for about $650 and have been accepted into the volunteer program. So I will be in Thailand from December 19 - January 1st. Currently my plans are volunteering in the jungle and then heading down to the south islands to sit in paradise for a couple days. SWEET!

No comments: