Monday, January 24, 2011

2011: Considering the Future

I returned from SE Asia to Japan on January 10th. I've been busy with work here in Japan. Re-contracting time is here and I have to decide whether to stay on the JET Program as an ALT in my rural town for a 3rd year. I am leaning towards staying since working for a private company, possibly in a more urban environment, would be taking about a $500/month pay cut. I don't feel ready to leave Japan yet. Although I find my job both draining and frustrating, it has its moments. It's amazing how one sentence out of one of my 600 junior high students can make or break my day.

Japan, a love hate relationship. Isolated in my small town with only a few old men to talk to at the local izakaiya. Freezing winter nights in my apartment burning kerosene to prevent hypothermia, but risking CO poisoning. The safety and beauty of this country both calming and fascinating. The culture and language I may never fully understand. The endless warm politeness on the surface, but an impenetrable mask concealing truth underneath. A feeling of human disconnect. Efficient public transportation. Inconvenient placements. Silly but practical inventions. Questionable health care. Stable income. Cryptic bills. Good snowboarding.

Oh, Japan! I am not yet ready to leave your bewilderment, adventure and security. I still have too much to learn. The claws you have in me bring me some pain, but tearing them away prematurely may spill too much blood and cause regret. Do I seal my fate until July 2012? I think, I may. Before I venture into the void calling me forward for another grand adventure. To get completely lost in order to find my true destination. Maybe staying chained for a little longer will develop greater endurance.

Shooting arrows at Sanjyusangendo, Kyoto.

Stay tuned for tales of adventure from warmer regions in Asia.

No comments: